Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandarin Dragonet and Anemones

Default Mandarin Dragonet and Anemones

So I am reading mixed reviews on keeping Anemones and Mandarin Dragonets in the same tank. Since acquiring a Mandarin has been my goal since I first started looking into a reef tank age ago, I'm looking for people's personal experience in keeping the Anemones and Mandarins together.

I have a 24g Nanocube, a small Rose Bubble Tip Anemone and a Long Tentacle Anemone.

Thoughts?
    24g Nanocube Residents: Purple Firefish, Yellow Watchman Goby, Ocellaris Clown, Long Tentacle Anemone, Rose Bubble Tip Anemone, Sally Lightfoot and various members of the CUC
    Corals: Aussie Acan, Neon Green Candy Cane, Green Star Polyps, Umbrella Leather, Kenya Tree, Some Rocordia and a few shrooms
    Zoa and Paly Collection: Alien Explosions, Black Hole Sun, Darth Maul, Devil's Armour, Fire and Ice, Flying Saucers, Green Eggs, Green Meanies, Goochsters, Horizons, Nazanin, Nightmare Palys, Pink Panthers, Purple Fission, Radioactive Dragon Eye, Sunny D, (and some I've yet to identify)

I personally have not kept mandarins and anemones in the same tank. However, I have heard horror stories of mandarins becoming dinner from then, or even elegance corals!

Just be aware that you probably will not be able to sustain an adequate pod population in a nano for a mandarin. Definitely consider training the mandarin onto prepared foods right away. There are many articles done on training mandarin dragonets onto prepared foods, the tricky part is doing it. Some places I have seen sell trained dragonets, but make sure you see them eat prepared before making that purchase.
    "It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!!!!"

SharkiePhotography on Blogspot:
    http://sharkiephotography.blogspot.com/

Join us on the saltie side. We have Taffy.

I had a Mandarin with a long tentacle plate coral. One day I looked in the tank to find the Mandarin half eaten and hanging out of the plate corals mouth.
    Also Mandarins need a well established tank larger than 24 gallons, otherwise you'll have to be supplementing it's diet with live pods which can be costly. You'd be very surprised at how much they eat and the calories they burn.

Default same topic

mandarins in my opinion shouldnt be kept in anything smaller then a 75 and shouldnt be in a tank less then a yr old.. also about the anemone i have actually had a yellow watchmen goby xl aswell as a couple shrimp get eaten i came home from work to find the goby was half sticking out of the mouth upside down... i would think a mandarin has as good of shot as any goby making in the tank with an anemone

Thanks guys for all the input. I am planning on growing a few pod cultures and looking for a trained (that I have seen) Mandarin. I've been doing my research but this is the one question there seemed to be so much debate about. It would appear that those that kept their Nems well fed never had a concern, others that didn't, had problems. Not sure it's a risk I'm willing to take however.
    24g Nanocube Residents: Purple Firefish, Yellow Watchman Goby, Ocellaris Clown, Long Tentacle Anemone, Rose Bubble Tip Anemone, Sally Lightfoot and various members of the CUC
    Corals: Aussie Acan, Neon Green Candy Cane, Green Star Polyps, Umbrella Leather, Kenya Tree, Some Rocordia and a few shrooms
    Zoa and Paly Collection: Alien Explosions, Black Hole Sun, Darth Maul, Devil's Armour, Fire and Ice, Flying Saucers, Green Eggs, Green Meanies, Goochsters, Horizons, Nazanin, Nightmare Palys, Pink Panthers, Purple Fission, Radioactive Dragon Eye, Sunny D, (and some I've yet to identify)

Default your right

if you keep your nem well feed it certainly would cut down on chance.. some of my cleaner shrimp would go right on him and take his food couple times i seen him grab the shrimp too lol... also if your anemones are pretty set on there location in the tank you will have a better luck aswell.. if you have a wondering nem it might be a lil les lucky!! good luck with everything

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Ontacos View Post
    if you keep your nem well feed it certainly would cut down on chance.. some of my cleaner shrimp would go right on him and take his food couple times i seen him grab the shrimp too lol... also if your anemones are pretty set on there location in the tank you will have a better luck aswell.. if you have a wondering nem it might be a lil les lucky!! good luck with everything
    I know what you're saying. I've seen everything crawl on these nems and they never bother with them. Then again, they aren't going hungry. They get a nice chunk of shrimp, scallop, etc. every other day. And they've found their corners and rarely budge. If they do, it's maybe an inch or two either way.

Truth be told, I'll have to rehome the LTA soon, he's gotten SOOO big it's unreal!

gl with everything and send me a pm when the time comes to get rid od the LTA i might beable to find a home for him in one of several tanks!!

I got a mandarin in my reef tank with 1 large 12"+ RBTA and 2 small green/pink tip BTA and elegance and a long tenticle plate with no problems at all. Just keep everything well fed
    A loving heart is the truest wisdom.

cut,colour,carat & clarity

┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ....... ಠ_ಠ.......... ಥ_ಥ

I've kept a green mandarin with indo yellow anemone and a rbt without any problems in my 75gal. I got mine to accept frozen brineshrimp and frozen rotifers as well. In a nano I would be a little worried about running out of natural food supply, but is you can get it to accept frozen I forsee no problem. I personally feel that the green mandarin adapts far better than the spotted one.

Anthony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast