Thread: Best filter for a planted discus tank?

Default Best filter for a planted discus tank?

I'm 3 weeks into my dry start on my new 120H planted discus tank and its time to think about filtration.

I'm thinking 5 discuss, a small school of cardinal tetras, maybe 6 rasbora's, 4 dwarf cichlids, a plecco and a small cleanup crew.I would like to overfilter but without too much current.

I'm comtemplating the Eheim 2078 (yes, I know, pricey). Is this a good choice? What others should I consider?

Thanks in advance.
    Display: 120g planted discus tank, 50g Rift Lake tank
    Fish Room: 8 X 10g, 6 X 20g, 2 X 40g
    Pond (aka outdoor aquarium): 1200g

Hi Brent, I would look at the 2028 Eheim Pro II. I have one (not for sale) and it is a superb filter with excellent flow and good for tanks up to 160 gallons. It will also save you money while providing excellent filtration. If you want to do both sides of the tank, then I would look at dual 2215's or 2217's but then you have extra plumbing to hide.

How's that other planted tank coming along? Pics, pics.....

h2osanity is offline Web team, KWAS Membership & Newsletter Chair

I would second the dual filter system..it provides a backup in case one side fails, it also allows you to mod your system in the event that you want to add things to one filter but not the other (say peat inserts) It also allows you to stagger your filter maintenance without much impact on your nitrogen cycle. I would recommend 2 x 2217's.
    Most species do their own evolving, making it up as they go along, which is the way Nature intended. And this is all very natural and organic and in tune with mysterious cycles of the cosmos, which believes that there is nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fiber and, in some cases, backbone. - Terry Pratchett

Definitely on the right track with canisters! Eheims really are the most reliable out there. My experience is limited to Eheims and Fluvals - Eheim is superior, though IMO (and remember, there is that pesky student budget thing hanging over my head...) since I can get a couple/few used Fluvals (often) for the price of one Eheim...I love my Fluvals

If your only concern is what is the best filter? Eheims all the way. Quieter (well - silent. I'd call the Fluvals "quiet"), more efficient (fewer opportunities for water to bypass media), [superior media, though you can buy it for any filter]...

If you can go with multiple canisters - or more - it really helps. You can stagger cleaning,make room for emergency media (like carbon), and have extra media in case you have to insta-cycle another tank.
    Two fish were in a tank. One fish said to the other fish:

"Do you know how to drive this thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by h2osanity View Post
    I would recommend 2 x 2217's.
    Ditto. That's what I use on the exact same tank and it works wonders.
    180G Mixed Reef Show Tank
    2x120G Marine System: Quarantine and Frag holding.

Online:
    camturner.com tanyastamps.com @camturner

Quote Originally Posted by CamTurner View Post
    Ditto. That's what I use on the exact same tank and it works wonders.
    These aren't the ones you didn't clean for a year are they Cam

No that was a 2215 on my living room tank. Still no algae and clean water.

Cam
    180G Mixed Reef Show Tank
    2x120G Marine System: Quarantine and Frag holding.

Online:
    camturner.com tanyastamps.com @camturner