Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Kribs and Plecos Co-Exist

Default Can Kribs and Plecos Co-Exist

I was wondering if a pair of Kribs and a pair of BN Plecos can get along? Both have proven to spawn. Thanks
    Norm

h2osanity is offline Web team, KWAS Membership & Newsletter Chair

how big a tank? Both can be territorial during spawning and hatching, the BN's don't go in much for post in cave fry care but the kribs certainly do.
    Most species do their own evolving, making it up as they go along, which is the way Nature intended. And this is all very natural and organic and in tune with mysterious cycles of the cosmos, which believes that there is nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fiber and, in some cases, backbone. - Terry Pratchett

It would be a 32g. Just trying to figure best way to cut my # of aquariums from 4 to 3 and reduce some clutter in the rec room.

I've successfully kept kribs and BN in the same tank. In one instance the kribs spawned but not the BN - a 40g tank. In the other, both spawned but that was a 120 community tank and there was lots of room for everyone to co-habit.
    Display: 120g planted discus tank, 50g Rift Lake tank
    Fish Room: 8 X 10g, 6 X 20g, 2 X 40g
    Pond (aka outdoor aquarium): 1200g

Okay thanks for the input.

Same question....sort of. More to do with Kribs and platies co-existing.
    Currently I have a 65g with 3 platies, 1 guppy, two Blueberry Tetras, two cory's and two BN plecos. In my 32g I have a pair of Albino LFBN Plecos, along with some where between 20-30 babies(different sizes as from three different spawning's). My last tank is 20G with my pair of Kribs. Without adding another aquarium I need to create more room for the baby plecos to grow. I want to at least put some of the bigger plecos in the the 20g but im afraid if i do that, then i have to put the Kribs in my 65. If i have to put them in the 65 then i will have to move the guppy and im not sure about the platies which is fine. I'm just not sure if i should move the guppies and platies (if need be) from the 65 to the 20 or if i should put them in the 32 since it is bigger. I plan on keeping the pair of plecos in the 32, let them spawn and then wait for the new babies to grow a bit before putting them into the 20.
    Any help, advice or suggestions would be great. I have a feeling I'm going about this all wrong so don't be afraid to pick apart my plan, as long as you can offer a different.
    Thanks everyone!

h2osanity is offline Web team, KWAS Membership & Newsletter Chair

I've seen kribs co-exist with livebearers as long as there is plenty of good hiding cover. I haven't tried it personally but have seen tanks where it is done successfully.
    Most species do their own evolving, making it up as they go along, which is the way Nature intended. And this is all very natural and organic and in tune with mysterious cycles of the cosmos, which believes that there is nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fiber and, in some cases, backbone. - Terry Pratchett

The kribs (or Pelvicachromis species) is a relatively peaceful dwarf cichlid. They will do fine with any community style fish. Keep in mind that they are a cichlid so when spawning, they exhibit typical cichlid aggressive behaviour. I keep my P subocellatus with my skiffia and my monty's. Good luck and enjoy.
    The Fickle Canadian Aquarist
    KWAS MEMBER SINCE 1979/KWAS HONORARY MEMBER SINCE 2004
    linkedin

Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post
    The kribs (or Pelvicachromis species) is a relatively peaceful dwarf cichlid. They will do fine with any community style fish. Keep in mind that they are a cichlid so when spawning, they exhibit typical cichlid aggressive behaviour. I keep my P subocellatus with my skiffia and my monty's. Good luck and enjoy.
    I second all of that and H2osanity's remarks about kribs and live bearers. I have several of the combos you are suggesting:
    • 2 trios of kribs in with some BN plecos, angels, corys and a few others. Heavily planted 90 gallon. There is a krib spawn active right now. The krib parents have claimed about a third of the tank.
    • 1 trio of kribs with 2 BN pleco females in a well planted 20. No problems, periodic krib spawning.
    • 4 kribs (1 male, 3 females) with 6 adult platies, 3 pearl gouramis and some other stuff in a well planted 50. No problems, periodic krib spawns and baby platies almost always evident.

Hope this helps.
    Rick - member DRAS & KWAS

It is very difficult to find a black cat in a dark room especially if there is no cat.

(one explanation of scientific research)

Thanks for the info. One reason I was concerned is I used to have two Kribs in the 32 and had 3 danios and 4 neon tetras. Well within a day I only had one neon. Also somewhere I had read that Kribs love to eat guppies. However that is just one post I read online and for every post I find online I can find something that totally contradicts it LOL.
    So I guess I will put the Kribs in with them and see what happens. Hopefully there is enough hiding spots for them. (Tank is only lightly planted at present time w/ a couple coconut shells, some marble sculpture thing and wood)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast