Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Home for Oscar

Well I just took a sample of a 5g bucket while doing a water change, the picture on the right below is from the fresh water. Both tests were done the exact same way and pictures are taken in the same spot. I also put conditioner in the water and waited 20 minutes before doing the test. It looks like the fresh water has higher ammonia. By my logic water changes are only hurting the problem and making it more difficult for the filter to fight off the ammonia? It kind of makes sense, I was wondering how the ammonia was being created with only one fish in the tank and I was cleaning up feces and uneaten food daily...

You have chloramine in your water and it makes sence that it shows in your test but if you use a dechlorinator with your water changes it shouldnt be a problem.

Breeder of Quality African Cichlids

List of Cichlids for sale @
    www.tropicalfever.ca

Terry Clements

Out of a job yet?....Keep buying foreign!

''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne

I used water conditioner on the bucket 20 mins before the test, would that not have worked?

The dechlorinator should render the ammonia harmless to your fish, available to your bacteria, and it will still test. For chloramines AFAIK you need to double the dechlorinator dose. Once you put the tap water in the tank the bacteria and any live plants will get to work at reducing it back to 0.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123