Thread: Bringing fish across US border

Default Bringing fish across US border

This has been covered in the past, but I think the rules are changing. From what I read here, declaring the fish (with documentation for cost and type) is sufficient as long as they are for personal collection and not for re-sale. Does this still hold? I am discussing this topic with some people in the southern US who could ship to Buffalo, but none of us are sure about pick-up from there to Toronto.

Thanks,
    Rick - member DRAS & KWAS

It is very difficult to find a black cat in a dark room especially if there is no cat.

(one explanation of scientific research)

I have not heard any different yet.....
    65 tanks running with 1700 gallons of water. Working on breeding South American cichlids and catfish, African cichlids, rare livebearers and various other projects

Grand Master Aquarium Horticulturist 5th Degree

Quote Originally Posted by sucker4plecos View Post
    I have not heard any different yet.....
    Much appreciated.

It is very difficult to find a black cat in a dark room especially if there is no cat.

I'd just be sure that the documentation you take to prove latin/common names also includes a picture of the fish.
    180G Mixed Reef Show Tank
    2x120G Marine System: Quarantine and Frag holding.

Online:
    camturner.com tanyastamps.com @camturner

If you tell them you are shopping when you go over and again when you come back they only ask the dollar value of the goods that you have.
    Good fish are bred in Burlington.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwhiskered View Post
    If you tell them you are shopping when you go over and again when you come back they only ask the dollar value of the goods that you have.
    Usually this is the case, however you should always be aware of what you actually have, just in case. All it takes is for a supervisor or higher official to be there and an officer being pressured to go by the book. Border officer are usually reasonable but on occasion things can go wacky. Just think what you would say if they said the animal you are bringing in the country is endangered and illegal to transport across the Canadian border; And illegal to transport on USA and Canada's highways without proper documentation. They will have a whole lot of potential charges and you would say "i did'nt know, i just got it from a petshop". They say ignorance of the law is no excuse....... This may seem far fetch or maybe not.
    It would be nice to know what you are bringing in is totally legal to bring in.

if you know what you are binging back email the CFIA or canada border service. They will send you the info you need plus send your email to everyone and their brother who may be involved. We did before we went down last time for saltwater fish, printed off the emails, when the border guard asked what we brought back, all we said was it was not protected and offered all the emails, which he had no interest in reading. If you cover your bases they don't want to bother with a fish or two.
    90 frag tank260 salt hard/sps/lps mix300 salt sps/lps mix14 gallon biocube

Today at the Durham Auction and Expo, there was a representative from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency ( CFIA )

He had some information on what you have to do if importing susceptible aquatic animals for a business.
    http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/.../1327162766981

See Schedule for exempted species here www.inspection.gc.ca/aquatic

Pet aquatic animal exemption

When importing an aquatic animal, an import permit will not be required when the owner can:
    • present proof of their identity and their ownership of the aquatic animal to the inspector at the point of entry into Canada
    • attest to the fact that the pet animal has not been taken to a show or display outside of Canada
    • keep the pet animal in their household aquarium
    • ensure the pet animal is not exposed to any aquatic animals other than those kept in the household, for one year following the importation
    • not import another pet aquatic animal as listed below for the period of 90 days after the importation
    • keep all records of the importation
    - and -
    The pet aquatic animal is one of the following susceptible species of finfish:
    • Barbonymus gonionotus
    • Carassius auratus
    • Colisa lalia
    • Danio rerio
    • Glossogobius giuris
    • Osphronemus goramy
    • Oxyeleotris marmorata
    • Poecilia reticulata
    • Puntius sophore
    • Symphysodon discus
    • Toxotes chatareus
    • Trichogaster pectoralis
    • Trichogaster trichopterus
    Import permits are required for all live susceptible species of finfish including those listed above if the requirements for the pet aquatic animal exemption are not met.
    There are exemptions when bringing in Pet aquatic animals for personal use.
    A Pet Aquatic Animal Declaration Form must be signed by the importer, I am still trying to find this form on the CFIA website.

There is an automated import reference system at www.inspection.gc.ca/airs
    Zenin

Cichlids: from great challenges come great rewards.

Thanks, Z - I talked with the guy and got some clarification. As with all things bureaucratic, it may be a bit of a crap shoot.
    I hope to get someone from that office to talk to DRAS next season. It is a field full of landmines.

Quote Originally Posted by arty g View Post
    Thanks, Z - I talked with the guy and got some clarification. As with all things bureaucratic, it may be a bit of a crap shoot.
    I hope to get someone from that office to talk to DRAS next season. It is a field full of landmines.
    Indeed, especially since I can not find the form on their website

The guy was Dr. Ed Creighton, a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, his office is in Guelph, so very close to us.
    I think he would be a good guest speaker at KWAS before our group heads down to Ohio in November to avoid problems coming back into Canada !
    Zenin

Cichlids: from great challenges come great rewards.