Thread: Running an Undrilled SW 75g Tank

Default Running an Undrilled SW 75g Tank

Anyone using just a HOB skimmer and a canister filter on a 75g FOWLR tank ? (No sump)

Can a SW tank be run successfully with no sump ?

Yes it can be done, but I wouldn't want to do it for long. As a temporary tank it's fine, but it is far simpler to introduce solutions to fix problems in a sump than in the display.
    180G Mixed Reef Show Tank
    2x120G Marine System: Quarantine and Frag holding.

Online:
    camturner.com tanyastamps.com @camturner

there are over flow boxes for tanks that are not drilled. i and be running a 90 like that for years

if its not tempered, i could drill if for you.

Quote Originally Posted by trigger gta View Post
    there are over flow boxes for tanks that are not drilled. i and be running a 90 like that for years
    I'm running 2 120G's off of a single sump with this style of overflow box too. Nothing is drilled in case I want to sell these tanks later.

Cam
    180G Mixed Reef Show Tank
    2x120G Marine System: Quarantine and Frag holding.

Online:
    camturner.com tanyastamps.com @camturner

I have a 65 gallon tank that has no sump, with live rock, a HOB skimmer, small aquaclear HOB power filter for carbon and phosban, and powerheads for water movement. I have had this system running for over 15 years and the oldest inhabitants, two clownfish, have been living happily since the beginning. There are currently the two clowns, 2 bangai cardinals, 1 orchid dottyback and 1 neon goby calling the tank their home. I started out with FOWLR and I now have a mix of mushrooms, zoathids, softies and LPS.

I have ran a 54 corner bow tank with no refugium and my last tank didn't have one ether. Ibve got sps and Lps all growing and I run phosban also. Plus I've got some clams. I have to do a 16gallon water change every 2 weeks. Everything is growing and happy. I'd like to get a new HOB skimmer. But I will be going to a full sumP system in the near future. I wouldn't run a canister unless you wanna clean and change the media every couple weeks. They do more bad than good.
    Last edited by h2osanity; April 25th, 2012 at 11:08 AM.

Probably best to decide what your future goals are with the tank and do the work now. Much more difficult to drain everything and rebuild later if you decide you want to add a sump. Getting it plumbed and setting up a sump seems like a lot of work but it really isn't. (Unless your me and change your desing 3 times) lol. I have a complete overflow kit that I didn't end up useing. Pm me if your interested in it.